21 March, 2013

Paper Piecing the easy way!

Hi and welcome to another post on the Get Funky and Craft Blog.  It's Anice here today and I thought I would share my slant on paper piecing images. Not everyone is great at colouring, I'm still working on it myself! So, if the image you are working with lends itself to paper piecing then it can be a great way to create a topper for your card or scrapbook page.  Other crafters wont do it in the same way as this but, this is the way that I find the easiest. It's sort of like Paper layering!

Right, first print out the image that you are going to paper piece, this is a rosette image from my craft CD Colour Me Happy.






Next you need print the image again over a backing paper that you want as the the outer section of the rosette. Cut out just that part of the rosette.

 

I could have just cut out the very edge of the rosette but I think that is fiddly and this is easier to stick down and then piece over the top. Hence the layering idea.  Of course you will stick down your paper, I've just placed mine on top in this picture as this is part of a tutorial I am going to be using in the near future with a craft group and I didn't want to have to cut it all out again!

So, do the same again with the image and a different backing paper and put the ribbons of the rosette in place.


 Next thing to cut out is the inner part of the rosette.



The final stage is to cut out the centre of the rosette.  I added a message onto the centre using rub-on letters from Doodlebug.




So, there is your image completed.  As I said you could cut out each piece of the image and stick it down and with some images you will need to do that. But, with this simple technique if you cutting out isn't that great, like mine! You wont have big old white bits showing through where you have miss cut and it doesn't fit.  It is a simple way to have a first go at paper piecing.  Would you like to see what I used this rosette for? Well you are going to even if you don't!


 All the papers, image and letters used on this card can be found on the Funky Hand craft CD Colour Me Happy which is available to purchase on the Funky Hand website www.funkyhand.com



I hope you have enjoyed this quick tutorial and it inspires you to have a go at a bit of paper piecing if you have never tried it before. We would love to see what you have been creating with Funky Hand products.  It's not a competition, no one will be judging you, we just like to see what you have been working on.  Add your image to the linky at the bottom of this post and let us all visit your blog and take a look.

Happy Crafting!
Anice xx

2 comments:

  1. That is such a handy tip - thabnks for sharing. Has to be a really good way with many images I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic tutorial dearie.Great idea as not everyone has the time or th inclination to colour in.Fantastic card too.Love rosettes.Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete

We hope you have enjoyed the paper craft inspiration from the Funky Hand Design Team. Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.